Happy 20th Anniversary, Coachella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy 20th Anniversary, Coachella

It was 20 years ago when it all started out on the polo fields.

This is a nice read that I found from a Coachella subreddit post: https://www.theringer.com/music/2019...estival-empire
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

Great Share Wxdude! I haven't come to the board in a very long time & was surprised it was gone (the way it used to be) & this was in it's place. Grateful that our VETS are ON here

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
      Great Share Wxdude! I haven't come to the board in a very long time & was surprised it was gone (the way it used to be) & this was in it's place. Grateful that our VETS are ON here ??
      Thanks, Nikita! Yes, this has been a nice refuge for vets of the festival who posted on the now-defunct old Coachella board. This website is menikmati's, and he along with psychic friend are the two moderators, which is just like the former board. They both put up their own money to split the cost of purchasing a new vBulletin license ( a few hundred dollars) and made this message board similar in design to the old Coachella one but with updated features. We are really grateful for them doing that!

Unfortunately, not everyone got word of this replacement before the announced demise of the old Coachella board. Menik had to scramble to get it prepared in a short amount of time, and it only went live on Dec. 29 last year, which was only a few days before the shutdown date (even though that board remained fully functional for another month and had limited functionality for a few months after that). By that point TME, the Pied Piper of rumor-mongering, had somehow convinced a bunch of the boardies that a single Coachella festival thread within a general "Festival" forum on Inforoo, an independent site dedicated to discussion of Bonnaroo and where some of the old Coachella boardies were openly disparaged, was a better replacement. So several have gone there and did not make the transition. Then there were those who signed up and even posted on here in the beginning but disappeared soon after the announcement of the 2019 Coachella lineup, which many long-time veterans felt was subpar compared to previous lineup standards and continuing a trend of the festival placing too much of an emphasis on mainstream pop the past few years. Still there were others were turned off by the negative comments of people who expressed their displeasure with the 2019 lineup and turned to the Coachella subreddit instead for some positive vibez (lol). Since that point there just has been a general decrease in activity, especially after the festival was over in April, which has led to the perception to this board being dead. There have been periods in which no one posts stuff for hours and sometimes days. This has in turn fueled even more members to turn away. However, there are about a couple of dozen of us who are attempting to keep this thing going and post here occasionally to intermittently. I'm optimistic that activity will pick up again now that several 2020 lineup rumors are beginning to circulate and interest is increasing before the January release. When push comes to shove, this really is the only open Internet forum not controlled by a social media conglomerate that is truly dedicated to the organized discussion of Coachella and other things among festival vets, and it's ad-free!
      Last edited by wxdude; November 1, 2019, 03:25 AM.
      Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

Comment

• Nikita
        Nikita commented
        Editing a comment
        I love this Wxdude! thank you and I love the vibez our OG's give. I'm soooo grateful to Menik & Psychic friend for doing this too (was glad to see the same avatar for PS too). You are right, this is one of the last places NOT controlled by social media. Honestly, it's where all the journalists covering Coachella find out what's really going on. True music fans who know WTF their talking about it is hard to come by. I'm excited for this years lineup especially now that RATM is confirmed. Even if they still stick with the Pop majority otherwise, the subliner shows have been far superior in years past and have no doubt this year will be the same.

• Boris
        Boris commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks wxdude for keeping the Spirit of Coachella alive, Looking forward to my 20th Coachella in April,
        Boris Coachella vet '99,'01,'02,'03,'04.'05,'06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11,'1 2 1&2,'13 1&2,'14 W2,'15 W2,'16 W2,'17 W2,'18 W2,'19 W2, '20 W2

I'm looking forward to the new documentary! I had heard it would be renewed around the holidays.
      setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter

Comment

Originally posted by scenicworld View Post
        I'm looking forward to the new documentary! I had heard it would be renewed around the holidays.
        There was an announcement yesterday that GV has partnered with YouTube to produce this documentary called Coachella: 20 Years in the Desert. The presentation will be streaming on its site beginning Mar. 31. It will chronicle the festival's history over the past two decades.

Here's the trailer:

Comment

Update: The documentary Coachella: 20 Years in the Desert will now debut on YouTube at 12 p.m. PDT (3 p.m. EDT) on Friday, April 10 for free. That date of course should have been the start of Coachella 2020 W1.

The video linked in the post above was just a teaser. GV and YouTube have now released an official trailer a day ago and a sneak peek a week ago:

A page dedicated to the documentary, https://doc.coachella.com, is on the Coachella website and has the following:

The documentary features two decades in the making, “Coachella: 20 Years in the Desert” opens up the vault for the very first time to present the performances and behind-the-scenes stories that shaped the music festival. The film gives a rare look at Coachella’s colorful beginning, presents exclusive, never-before-seen footage, interviews, and features key performances from some of the biggest names in music.
          The webpage has a timeline highlighting a performance or new feature each year the festival has taken place and four Coachella retro playlists at the bottom.

Here's more about it from Billboard: https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...ealing-footage. I hope it lives up to the hype.
          Last edited by wxdude; April 9, 2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

The following is an excerpt from a Deadline interview published just before the 20 year Coachella documentary was streamed on YouTube. The people interviewed were Chris Perkel, director and producer of the flim, and Raymond Roker of Goldenvoice, who served as the executive director and was featured frequently.

DEADLINE: When you made this film, was the intent to capture the music or the culture that’s sprung up around it?

CHRIS PERKEL: I think they go hand-in-hand. But our interest was in capturing the growth of the festival, how it both led and reflected changes in popular music and the culture at large. And that primarily comes back to the music. The festival would not have the cultural influence it has without the credibility that comes from two decades of musical excellence. It is a platform that artists look to to make statements, and that’s the engine that drives the festival’s continued relevancy, in my opinion.

RAYMOND ROKER: The music and culture have always been linked, so our intent was to showcase both. But without a doubt, the romance and nostalgia for last weekend or 20 years ago are very real and present in the film. We’ve all had a moment at Coachella where we’ve experienced a performance that gave us chills. I know I have mine. So, selfishly, this film couldn’t help but also share some of these moments. But in 104 minutes, we were limited to performances that also helped us tell the underlying story. The 20-episode concert film version of Coachella will be the next project.
            I underlined the last sentence from Raymond. I can't tell if he is being serious or sarcastic here, but it's definitely something to look forward to in the future if true.

Comment

Here is an interesting review of the 20 year documentary film from the live music industry trade publication, Pollstar: https://www.pollstar.com/article/rev...nd-fans-144451

Comment

Working...
              X