Impact of COVID-19 on Coachella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact of COVID-19 on Coachella

Anyone have thoughts how the coronavirus may impact Coachella and other 2020 global music festivals that have a large contingent of attendees and talent traveling from many different places around the world? At this point GV has issued no statements regarding any precautionary measures for the two weekends, including possible cancellation or postponement. I would though imagine some of the international acts booked from locales experiencing large rates of infection, especially SE Asia, may not be permitted to leave their home countries. The WHO and the CDC still doesn't have a good handle on the exact spread rate, transmission characteristics, and contagion of the coronavirus, but the WHO does now place the risk of infection worldwide as very high.

I think we might get a better idea of the possible implications for Coachella once we see the impact of COVID-19 on festivals booked in March and early April, such as Ultra and those in South America and Mexico. For now I am still planning to travel out to the polo fields, but I wouldn't be surprised if my plans have to change.
    Last edited by wxdude; February 28, 2020, 05:59 PM.
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

Watch out for the COVID-19 needlez while fast dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
      Watch out for the COVID-19 needlez while fast dancing.
      ...in the Sahara tent, of course! COVIDCHELLA
      Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

Comment

I'm pretty sure we're going to see some cancellations at this point but the festival will almost definitely happen unless things drastically change between now and April.
        setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter

Comment

Hard to say. I can tell you all a lot of the companies I work with are issuing travel bans for their employees. And not just to countries/areas known to have been affected, but travel bans to anywhere. Of course work travel and personal travel not the same thing, but there may be liability related issues for an event like Coachella. It's probably all covered in the disclaimer and terms for the event. I don't expect Coachella would outright postpone/cancel but, as you said wxdude, might depend on what happens over the next few weeks.

Comment

Yeah, I think we're just starting to learn about the extent of infections already present here in the States, particularly with the cases in Washington state and the new confirmation in Rhode Island being reported. The situation seems pretty fluid right now. With the amount of people who attend Coachella on just one of the weekends now potentially being somewhere in the neighborhood of 125K, I'm sure GV/AEG has already started coming up with contingency plans and is in touch with public health and safety officials at all levels of government. The same thing has to be going on for the promoters and organizers of other major music festivals this spring and summer as well.
            Last edited by wxdude; March 1, 2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

According to the Miami Herald, City of Miami government officials (always a bastion of corruption) have met with the Ultra Music Festival promoters today about possibly suspending or postponing that fest in order to prevent the potential spread of c-virus. They plan to announce their decision on Friday at 9 a.m. EST. It'll be interesting to see if and how that outcome could affect Coachella.

Update: Ultra Music Festival will be postponed for a full year, effectively cancelling the event for 2020...https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...240878956.html

Another update: At a news conference by Miami city officials Friday morning, it was confirmed that Ultra is definitely canceled and so is the annual Calle Ocho festival on March 15. This was done in accordance with CDC guidelines.
              Last edited by wxdude; March 6, 2020, 06:28 AM.

Comment

At a press conference today in Palm Springs regarding the impact of coronavirus on the Coachella Valley, Riverside County health officials stated that they are letting GV decide whether or not to continue plans for Coachella and Stagecoach this year. https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...yet/4958589002.

"

Comment

And now the entire SXSW 2020 conference and music festival has been canceled by the City of Austin. This statement was issued by the organizers:

Comment

Originally posted by wxdude View Post

...in the Sahara tent, of course! COVIDCHELLA
                    COVIDCHELLA FTW! I hope the Corona Beer is virus free.

Comment

No decisions have been made about Coachella but Riverside County declared a public health emergency after confirming its first coronavirus case.

Comment

I think Option C is probably where GV/AEG have their sights set right now if they can get all the moving pieces and logistical considerations in place, salvage a semi-decent lineup for at least one weekend, and get the local permits. If that doesn't work out, probably Option B will happen prior to W1.

Because of the size, extent, and international reach of the festival and its reputation, I think option A is unfortunately looking more and more unrealistic as the number of positive c-virus cases continues to climb in CA, the rest of the U.S., and worldwide. Even if GV/AEG were all for proceeding with business as usual, they could suffer significantly from talent pulling out, sponsors dropping, contracted firms that take care of any number of things from security to stagehands to sound production disallowing employees to travel, and local or state government officials' objections. This would undoubtedly result in bad PR and could damage the brand. Perhaps if Coachella were smaller and had more of a regional appeal, it could go on.
                        Last edited by wxdude; March 8, 2020, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Oh man, this certainly does not bode well for other large organized events happening in the near future within the Coachella Valley...

The 2020 BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament that was supposed to take place at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden starting this Wednesday through March 22 has been canceled due to the COVID-19 threat.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...ent/4997772002

Comment

Riverside County has declared a health emergency. The 2020 BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament has been canceled due to the coronavirus. There is no way Coachella 2020 is going to be held.

Comment

Yea I think we're done. Just a matter now of if it's rescheduled or outright cancelled. Dammit. This was a good line up.

Comment

Working...
                              X