Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Coachella 2022 be cancelled due to the Omicron variant of Covid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Coachella 2022 be cancelled due to the Omicron variant of Covid?

I think Coachella 2022 is going to be postponed, and then cancelled. Again.

Please stop with the pessimistic takes. I'm sorry if you're feeling anxious about things.

Comment

I think it's too early to project how things will be by April rn. The winter months are unfortunately going to be brutal with spikes in the number of COVID cases according to several reliable forecast models. Plus there is the continued reluctance and obstinateness of a significant segment of the U.S. population to get vaccinated and follow simple CDC-recommended measures such as indoor masking. We'll have to see how the spread of the omicron strain and mitigation efforts play out both domestically and globally the next couple of months before getting a good handle.

If the festival proceeds as planned, there still could be restrictions on foreign travel affecting both performing artists (and their crews) and international attendees. Also, GV might have to tighten up the health and safety criteria for granting entry, such as requiring full vaccination plus a booster shot. Masks requirements may need to be imposed for the enclosed Yuma, Sonora, and sponsor tents; or those tents may need to be opened up to ensure proper ventilation. Finally, there may have to be daily health checks imposed for those who are camping.
      Last edited by wxdude; December 20, 2021, 04:09 AM.
      Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

Comment

I read the update menik made to the front page of this website yesterday. I think we all feel his pain. There's still some hope for Coachella in April unless there's insider knowledge that would indicate otherwise.
        Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

Comment

WHO says omicron may infect half of Europe within two months, if current coronavirus trends hold

By Ellen Francis
          Washington Post
          1/11/2021at 9:51 a.m. EST

The omicron variant is expected to have infected more than half the population in the European region in the next six to eight weeks if current trends hold, a World Health Organization official said Tuesday.

In the first week of 2022, Europe registered at least 7 million cases of the coronavirus, more than doubling over a two-week period, WHO regional director Hans Kluge told an online briefing. Almost all the countries in the WHO’s European region — 53 nations and territories including some in Central Asia — have confirmed omicron cases.

“At this rate, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation ... forecasts that more than 50 percent of the population in the region will be infected with omicron in the next six to eight weeks,” he wrote on Twitter.

The latest data confirms the variant’s high transmissibility, according to Kluge, “because the mutations it has enable it to adhere to human cells more easily, and it can infect even those who have been previously infected or vaccinated.”

Healthy, boosted people unlikely to develop severe omicron infections, but jury’s out on older, at-risk populations

This “unprecedented scale of transmission” has led to rising numbers of covid-19 hospitalizations, Kluge told reporters. “I am also deeply concerned that as the variant moves east, we have yet to see its full impact in countries where levels of vaccination uptake are lower.”

Some European countries with high vaccination rates have eased restrictions or reduced isolation periods for the immunized as part of an effort to avoid more disruptions to daily life, while others are tightening curbs on people who have not been vaccinated.

WHO officials including Kluge maintain that existing coronavirus vaccines provide protection against severe disease and death including in the case of an omicron infection. The global health body said in an update that more research was underway to determine the extent. It also said omicron growth rates have declined or stabilized in many countries but remain “significantly higher” than for the delta variant.

London may be moving beyond the peak of the omicron variant

The WHO said initial information on the severity of the variant from some countries including South Africa and Britain suggested that it could carry a reduced risk of hospitalization but that more data was necessary to better understand its impact, especially in parts of the world with low levels of population immunity and vaccination rates.

In the United States and other countries grappling with omicron surges, health-care workers are waiting to see whether the wave will mirror those of South Africa and London, where the variant passed its peak while causing relatively fewer deaths and hospitalizations than some models had predicted.

U.S. poised to break record 142,000 covid-19 hospitalizations

Doctors still worry that because the more contagious omicron will infect more people, even a small fraction of them landing in hospitals could further strain medical systems.
          Last edited by gaypalmsprings; January 11, 2022, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I booked a Europe trip for March two days before omicron started making headlines ...

Comment

• Papichujoe
              Papichujoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Goddamn...

What are the chances of reaching "herd/hybred" immunity? It seems like everyone and their mother is getting Rona right now.
            My gf tested positive for it yesterday, a few of my friends got it this week and like 3 of my cousins and their kids and my aunts/uncle got it last week

Comment

• wxdude
              wxdude commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry to hear that. I hope you are all well.

Even with the lineup release and confirmation that the festival is going full-steam ahead with the April dates, the thread title still remains a legitimate question. I'm not thinking so much in terms of attendee health and safety protocols, which of course are paramount, as I am about the performers, stagehands, festival employees, and contractors. Will there be artists who will have to cancel due to positive test results among themselves or their crews? Will foreign performers be denied visas from international COVID hot spots? Will there be enough workers, vendors, technicians, engineers, security personnel, etc. who will be out with COVID symptoms or will have to quarantine because of exposure to cause major disruptions? This sort of thing has taken a significant toll on the airline industry, and all the major commercial airline carriers have had to scale back their operations in the past couple of months due to the high rate of contagion from Omicron even among employees who are fully vaccinated and even boosted. Moreover, let's say Coachella W1 goes as planned. Will potential COVID exposure/infection that weekend lead to W2 having to be canceled or greatly scaled back?

While many small to large U.S. music festivals took place successfully in the fall months without becoming super-spreader events (with some exceptions like Rolling Loud) by having policies in place requiring attendees show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within 72 hours before being granted admission, most took place before the Omicron variant arrived and spread rapidly everywhere. These protocols have not really been tested yet with this variant.

I'm still hoping that we all see this Omicron wave peak before the end of February and then start to rapidly diminish in March.

Comment

Maybe that's why they have 4 headliners for three nights. Omicron might have at least one (hopefully Ye bastard) drop out at the last minute.

Comment

Will any artists have to cancel W2 because they got covid W1?

Comment

Originally posted by Gazer View Post
                  Will any artists have to cancel W2 because they got covid W1?
                  I'm curious about this too, I have tickets to both weekends, and if I go weekend 1 then weekend 2 get canceled or I get sick am I sol on the ticket?

Comment

• Papichujoe
                    Papichujoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hell. let's say 1/4 of the first weekends performers get sick, and back out weekend 2 will there be replacements or compensation for a shortened fest?

I'm thinking it would be a handful of performers at most who could get sick after W1. If transmission rates are high enough that large numbers are still getting infected, I'm not sure they have the fest.

Comment

Working...
                  X