Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the 2022 festival headliners going to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are the 2022 festival headliners going to be?

Since we now have confirmation of both weekend dates for the 2022 festival from Goldenvoice, we can start figuring out the headlining acts that are going to be there. The original group for the canceled 2020 festival was supposed to be Rage Against The Machine, Travis Scott, and Frank Ocean. Do you think GV and the artists will agree to keep that arrangement intact or will there be a replacement or two?

Considering that group...first, RATM is pretty much a guaranteed lock based on their released 2022 touring schedule and routing: https://forum.themojavetent.com/foru...page6#post5070. There is a huge obvious gap between their show in Glendale, AZ on Apr. 6 and Oakland, CA on Apr. 26. So that slot is pretty much certain.

Next, Travis Scott has only announced the 2021 headlining performances at the original Rolling Loud festival in Miami Jul. 24 and his own Astro World festival in Houston Nov. 5-6 so far. He is conspicuously absent from the Rolling Loud California festival in San Bernardino Dec. 10-12. It's hard to read too much into this right now, but I think it kind of points to Travis being retained.

Finally, the real mystery is Frank Ocean. He has not announced any tour dates or information since the COVID-19 pandemic. He also has a history of backing out of performances. Will he still be on the lineup?

If GV replaces a headlining slot, will it be with a female artist or perhaps a female-fronted or all-female band? They received quite a bit of criticism for the lack of gender diversity among the headliners when the 2020 lineup was announced. If that happened, would it be a pop megastar, rap/hip-hop act, R&B act, or an indie rock band? We can pretty much rule out Billie Eilish since she is performing Live Nation-produced sold-out shows at The Forum in L.A. on Apr.6, 8, and 9, 2022. Maybe Paul T will shock everyone by booking Fiona Apple as a headliner. After all, she scored the most prestigious 10/10 rating for her Fetch the Bolt Cutters album last year on Pitchfork!
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

I think they'll be the same.

I just hope Danny Elfman is there.
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter

Comment

RATM, Travis Scott/J. Cole(a la Stone Roses/Blur), Gorillaz

​​​​​

Comment

Travis Scott is now going to be a headliner at Rolling Loud New York on Oct. 30. That still doesn't change things.
        Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

Comment

Daft Punk, RATM, Frank Ocean

Comment

It's still too soon after the robot detonation for the Daft Punk rumors!

With Travis Scott being announced as a headliner for GV's 2021 Day N Vegas festival, I think that solidifies the likelihood he is retained as one of the 2022 Coachella HLs.

Comment

FWIW...this appeared in the "Rumor Mill" section of music industry trade Hits Daily Double on Thursday, July 8:

POST-PANDEMIC DIAGNOSIS: The news from the live side is full of surprises. On one hand, the market is absolutely on fire as festivals sell like gangbusters. Coachella sold out in 10 minutes without announcing its new lineup—which could make negotiating fees with bigger-name acts more interesting than usual. Rage Against the Machine and Travis Scott, who were announced as headliners last year, are expected to be the main attractions on Friday and Saturday night, but it’s said that Frank Ocean will not be headlining on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by wxdude View Post
                It's still too soon after the robot detonation for the Daft Punk rumors!
                I mean a final farewell show(s) at Coachella would be a no brainer so I'd still say its a viable option.

Comment

But Coachella didn't sell out in 10 minutes. I am betting on ABBA, if Daft Punk isn't available.

Comment

So with Frank playing 2023 and RATM/Travis taking up 2022 who are the headliners for each year

My hopes
                    2022 RATM/Travis/Daft Punk
                    2023 Kanye/Gorillaz/Frank Ocean

Probably
                    2022 RATM/Travis/Billie Elish(or some other Pop act)
                    2023 Kanye/(some rock "reunion" act)/Frank Ocean

Comment

Originally posted by Papichujoe View Post
                      So with Frank playing 2023 and RATM/Travis taking up 2022 who are the headliners for each year

My hopes
                      2022 RATM/Travis/Daft Punk
                      2023 Kanye/Gorillaz/Frank Ocean

Probably
                      2022 RATM/Travis/Billie Elish(or some other Pop act)
                      2023 Kanye/(some rock "reunion" act)/Frank Ocean
                      I think the third 2022 headliner still will not be Billie Eilish since she is performing those three Live Nation-produced shows at The L.A. Forum in L.A. the week before W1. She though could be a strong contender for 2023.

The third 2022 HL could though be some other pop act as you indicated. I believe GV would probably avoid another purely hip-hop/rap act since Travis already checks that box and Rage is considered a rap and alt rock hybrid. Other possibilities are an R&B artist such as Kanye (he's hardly doing hip-hop these days), a Latin crossover artist like Bad Bunny or Rosalía, a legacy electronic act like the Chemical Brothers, or a well-known indie rock act.

Comment

Didn't see that billie was playing la, with Tyler's tour announcement I feel a sigh of relief that he'll probably be out as a headliner

Comment

In place of Frank Ocean, it will be Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Comment

Originally posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
                            In place of Frank Ocean, it will be Dr. Anthony Fauci.
                            with a guest appearance by the Masked Singer

Comment

Now I hope it's Lil Nas X.

Comment

Working...
                              X