Where in the world... The Travel Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where in the world... The Travel Thread

Didn't find anything yet, so I thought I would start it.

Heading to NYC Thursday night for the first time, curious on some recommendations.

Looking for a GREAT NY deli, somewhere with NY style bagels, legit NY pizza and any bars that are fun but not extravagant. Gonna hit some touristy stuff, but would rather just explore the city. Staying in NJ, so anything around Burgen St is also welcome.

Last time I was in NY I had bagels from Liberty Bagel and Best Bagel - both in Midtown. Russ and Daughters is also an institution worth getting a bagel from. In terms of pizza......I really enjoyed a slice from Merilu in Hell's Kitchen. I don't have much to offer on the bar front, but Beer Culture is where I always stop for craft beer when I'm in Midtown or seeing a show on Broadway- it's nice and cozy with a good selection of local craft beers.

My travel query: my friend is getting married in Florence, Italy and I'm going to go. The last time I was in Florence I was only there for like 16 hours and it was an unexpected stop. We couldn't figure out where the statue of David was and I pulled us into an American/Irish bar (I was 19!) and we just got hammered and I ended up busking on the street with locals. I'm trying to decide if I should actually spend most of my time in Florence this time, or hit up some nearby cities - I have about 7-8 days total.. I'll be traveling alone and my other memory of the last time I was in Italy was just getting fucking aggressively and annoyingly hit on by Italian men and it got worse the further south we went. I also for some reason feel very hell bent on going to Nice, France, but am wondering if it's worth traveling all the way out there and back to Florence to catch a flight back? One way flights from various cities is doubly expensive.

Comment

• JustSteve
      JustSteve commented
      Editing a comment
      Rent a scooter and hit the road. We accidentally ended up on the high, which was against the law, but went with it and ended up in the amazing Tuscany countryside, found a winery/hotel at the top of a small hill for some wine and cheese, then found a park where a family invited us to hang out with them for a bit. It was an incredible day! Have heard Florence men are prone to whipping their dicks out at women though. Wtf? The cinque Terre region of Italy is amazing as well, monterosso is beautiful. Rented an apartment for a week there. And only a half hour or so train ride from Nice. Antibes in France is amazing too, right next to Nice.
      Last edited by JustSteve; May 9th, 2019, 11:19 AM.

• algunz
      algunz commented
      Editing a comment
      Florence is amazing, as well as the surrounding area. We stayed in a little town outside of Florence called San Casciano that had amazing wineries and little hole in the wall restaurants... but that's pretty much all of Italy. To get to Nice is at least 6 hours by train. That's two days lost of traveling. I would take in the area around Florence - Pisa is near there and there's a cool walled town called San Gigminano. (probably spelled wrong) I will say that Italian men can be aggressive, but maybe that has changed a bit ... as from what I hear the "metoo movement is having an impact. But, be prepared.

Never been to Nice but Florence is an amazing city and my favorite city in Italy but you can probably hit everything you want in the city in half the time unless you just want to relax and soak in the atmosphere. I'd say go to Nice if you want to be exploring the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
      Never been to Nice but Florence is an amazing city and my favorite city in Italy but you can probably hit everything you want in the city in half the time unless you just want to relax and soak in the atmosphere. I'd say go to Nice if you want to be exploring the whole time.
      What top things do you recommend I do when I'm in Florence? I landed on flying into Nice and spending a few days there before hitting up Genoa and Florence.

Comment

• algunz
        algunz commented
        Editing a comment
        Ponte Vecchio, the main Duomo, the Uffizi, also the Michelangelo Park (I don't remember the name) has the best views of the city. BTW, David is at Academy Gallery, but the Uffizi is a better museum if you're working against time. There are also replicas of David in the plaza next door to the Uffizi, so it's almost the same thing. I don't know how you feel about leather, but there are amazing leather shops all over town and fantastic opportunity to get custom made shoes within a few days.

• algunz
        algunz commented
        Editing a comment
        Florence is definitely one of those European towns that is meant to wonder and discover. There's something cool around every corner.

Post notes from Florence, as mrs Gazer is going next year as part of her graduate program.

I'm going back to Belgium next week. Can't wait!

Comment

my wife studied a month abroad in prato, which is a 15 min train ride from florence. i think we spent about a day in florence and a few days in rome. she also went to pisa and elba island. in terms of what to do in florence, sightseeing the statue of david and the duomo. aside from that, enjoy the food!

Comment

Working...
        X