The Global Pandemic Cope/Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Papichujoe View Post
    Anyone have any preference on vaccination? My antibodies have slowly been diminishing and imma be all out most likey next month so I gotta re up and get protected by 1 of the 3 big guys out there
    I'd just get anything that is available at this point. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are supposed to offer more protection, but you need two doses that are at least three weeks apart for the Pfizer and four weeks apart for the Moderna.

Nothing though guarantees 100% immunity. https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ee8_story.html
    Last edited by wxdude; April 27, 2021, 02:40 AM.
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

Comment

The CDC updated its guidance yesterday for folks who are considered fully vaccinated, which is defined as two weeks after receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or two weeks after getting the single dose of the J&J vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...accinated.html. One of the bullet states, "You can gather or conduct activities outdoors without wearing a mask except in certain crowded settings and venues." That exception would probably entail many music festivals.

Meanwhile, it turns out that bumblebee from the defunct Coachella board is quite the anti-vaxxer. He's become a nuisance among the Inforoo message board members on their festival forum. There is an awesome takedown of his bullshit in their coronavirus thread that is worth sharing. I'm providing the link to the whole page so that you can see the context. Then go down to jorgeandthekraken's post. https://inforoo.com/thread/37283/cor...-bird?page=343. LMFAO! (For those not familiar, quack is substituted for fuck in Inforoo-speak for those without internal account access.)

Although our board is usually dormant these days, at least we thankfully don't have to put up with bumbles idiocy!
      Last edited by wxdude; April 28, 2021, 04:45 AM.
      Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '20 W1-NOPE, '22 W2-HOPEFULLY

Comment

Man..... seeing supre and bumbles gave me Vietnam like flashbacks

Comment

• wxdude
          wxdude commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL! There's definitely a PTSD element.

Well, this Yahoo/YouGov poll leaves me a bit more pessimistic if the U.S. will ever totally get out of this mess: https://news.yahoo.com/new-yahoo-new...144955321.html.

And there were a whole bunch of well-heeled people within close proximity of others at the Kentucky Derby this past weekend who were not wearing masks despite the CDC guidance for large gatherings. There were about 51,000, which is the largest crowd at one U.S. venue in over a year. I'm sure that there was a certain segment of attendees who were not in the "fully vaccinated" category. SMH

Comment

I'm finding it odd that a lot of acts that are announcing tours are leaving the weekend dates in the middle October empty along with similar weekend dates in the middle April of 2022

Comment

Would you consider it safe now to see a show in a closed indoor venue based on what we know about how COVID-19 is transmitted and the current vaccination trends? This issue is discussed in this CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/10/healt...certs-wellness

But the latest data from the Axios-Ipsos Coronavirus tracking index found that 37% of adults consider attending a concert indoors to be a large risk, 48% calling it a small to moderate risk, and 14% said it was no risk at all.
            Despite being fully vaccinated for several weeks now, I would be extremely hesitant unless proper ventilation, social distancing, and vaccination proof or testing measures were in place. I'm waiting until at least September or even October before even considering going again to an indoor show when hopefully most of the population is fully vaccinated.

Comment

I'm just glad my local venue is an Amphitheatre

Comment

Well, I sure hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come with U.S. and European music festivals scheduled this summer and fall: So far 1050 people out of 20,000 who attended a Dutch outdoor electronic music festival, Verknipt, held at a park in Utrecht July 3-4, have tested positive for COVID-19 in recent days. No social distancing or mask wearing measures were enforced. Entry to the festival was granted if an attendee presented a QR code showed they were vaccinated, had recovered from a recent infection, or tested negative for the virus. Some of the criteria are now being questioned, such as permitting individuals to submit tests taken up to 40-h before arrival instead of a shorter one-day time period and allowing in people who had just been vaccinated as opposed to those who had built up immunity for at least a couple of weeks following injection.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/15/musi...nfections.html

Comment

The nation is going backwards with Covid. I hope everyone at Coachella is vaccinated - it sure would be nice if they required it.

Comment

Originally posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
                    The nation is going backwards with Covid. I hope everyone at Coachella is vaccinated - it sure would be nice if they required it.
                    Absolutely agree with that! Plus GV should only allow entry if people are fully vaccinated (two weeks after 2nd dose of Pfizer/Moderna or two weeks after singe-dose J&J) and present proof. They shouldn't permit any rapid-testing-at-the-gate bullshit or submission of test results beforehand as a substitute.

We'll see how viable musical festivals with traditionally large crowds will be over the next couple of weeks in the U.S. with Rolling Loud, taking place here in Miami now, and Lollapalooza in Chicago. Both attract a large number of teens, which is an age demographic that is really lagging in vaccination rates. The organizers of Rolling Loud though, unlike Lolla, appear to have no COVID mitigation measures in place on the grounds of Hard Rock Stadium. And this is in Florida, in which the number of positive COVID cases has gone up 61% just in the past week and is 7x greater than on June 1! Despite Miami-Dade County having 60% of its residents fully vaccinated and 76% getting one dose (well exceeding the national average and much above the state mean), it is accounting for 15% of the state's new cases and is still regarded as a hot spot. There are people from other parts of the country in attendance as well. From the accounts I read, the festival grounds are jammed pack and extremely overcrowded with absolutely no social distancing and little mask wearing. The county has set up a vaccination tent on the grounds, which is all well and good, but little will that do to alleviate the current situation. This local TV report bears it out...and this is only after the first day: https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...-road-closures.

Edit: The Washington Post coincidentally just published a timely article just on the subject of potential COVID spread at these two festivals: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...estivals-covid.
                    Last edited by wxdude; July 24, 2021, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Now onto the Lambda variant... Who knows, maybe there will be a Covid-22. Let's head on down to our neighborhood wet market.

Comment

Originally posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
                        Now onto the Lambda variant... Who knows, maybe there will be a Covid-22. Let's head on down to our neighborhood wet market.
                        Geez, I hope not. That contagion would be a real Catch-22.

Comment

Originally posted by wxdude View Post

Geez, I hope not. That contagion would be a real Catch-22.
                          I saw what you did there.

Comment

So apparently the delta variant of COVID made an epic guest appearance at Rolling Loud last weekend here in South Florida. One of the performers, Dess Dior, who was interacting intensely with the crowd has tested positive. Plus there are many anecdotal reports on the RL subreddit and elsewhere of attendees who are now symptomatic and testing positive as well, including several who were vaccinated. It seems like it was quite the super-spreader event and is now responsible for some subsequent community transmission. As I previously mentioned, this happened at a festival with large crowds, no preventive measures or screenings in place, and almost nonexistent social distancing and very limited mask wearing with young age demo. And it was it was held in a state that is still chugging out over 20% of new U.S. infections. Surprised?

A ~20 yo daughter of someone I work with went to RL with her boyfriend against his and her mother's advice. It's fortunate that she has her own place in Ft. Lauderdale now since the parents aren't letting her back into their house for at least another week and with proof of a negative COVID test!
                            Last edited by wxdude; July 31, 2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

When will we see the Lola numbers start to come out? By this weekend?
                              Last edited by Papichujoe; August 2, 2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X