X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasadena Daydream - The Cure (Aug 31)

Presented by Goldenvoice, cure-ated by Robert Smith

setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    4/2 Massive Attack @ SDSU • 5/4 Just Like Heaven • 5/5 The Faint @ Observatory NP
    5/6 Chemical Brothers @ Greek Theater • 7/23 Ozzy and Megadeath @ Chula Vista • 10/3 Vampire Weekend @ SDSU

Just saw this a little while ago, im guessing this is why they put Arroyo Secco on hold

Comment

It does seem that way. Hopefully Arroyo Seco returns next year.
      4/2 Massive Attack @ SDSU • 5/4 Just Like Heaven • 5/5 The Faint @ Observatory NP
      5/6 Chemical Brothers @ Greek Theater • 7/23 Ozzy and Megadeath @ Chula Vista • 10/3 Vampire Weekend @ SDSU

Comment

This seems good. I've never caught The Cure before and while I'm not a HUGE fan they a bucket list band so I'd love to see them. Pixies, Mogwai, Joy Formidable all good too. Depending on price I'm likely to go to this.

Comment

$149 plus fees for GA.

I'm a little nervous about it selling out quickly with the 8 ticket limit, but I also anticipate a second day added.

Comment

$149 is pretty steep for a 1 day festival but the lineup is good. It's also small enough that I'm assuming one stage so no chance of overlap between the bands I like. Either that or it will be two stages with long sets.

Comment

• iantmcfarland
              iantmcfarland commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, my thoughts as well - that's a very large ticket price for a poster with just ten names on it. But the Cure is a big enough headliner to justify the cost.

I'll be curious to see how well this sells. The Cure are a huge act and the two subheadliners are big deals. But the rest of the lineup isn't going to drive much in sales - I don't know if any of them could sell out the Fonda, even. It's a very nice lineup in my heart, just not sure how many people are going to be convinced they have to go if they don't already love the Cure.

Comment

I'll wait a bit on buying the ticket. If it looks like it's going to sell out in the first couple of days then I'm going to assume Just Like Heaven scenario where they add a second date, if it doesn't sell out too fast then I'll buy tickets to this day. Would much rather attend this on a Friday if possible since Thurs/Fri are my days off of work.

Also hopefully ALL tickets are $149 this time. If I log on to buy my tickets and find out that the only "tier" left is $200 instead I'm out, not supporting that again.

Comment

Anyone heard if there may be a presale?

Comment

$149 is kind of alot but not too bad, Strokes tix were like $100 Morrissey + Interpol were $80+

The Cure sold out the Hollywood bowl 3 night in a row a few yrs ago if irc so this will probaly sell out too'

Comment

Anyone know what the capacity is for the venue? I'm guessing it's somewhere around 50k.

Comment

Don't underestimate Cure fans. Right now our only options to see them in the US is this show and ACL. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if there's a second date added. Robert had said the US tour won't really start until next year with the new album.

Plus, just about everyone playing was also at Meltdown when it was also curated by Robert so this is almost like Mini Meltdown US.

Labor day weekend could be a blessing or a curse in southern California though. Lots of other things to do for locals, but a long weekend for travelers.
                      Last edited by scenicworld; May 15th, 2019, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• wxdude
                        wxdude commented
                        Editing a comment
                        southern Calcutta?

• scenicworld
                        scenicworld commented
                        Editing a comment
                        lol oops. I'm sure there's a lot to do there too. Haha

This reminds me a bit of the traveling one-day Curiosa festival tour that Robert Smith helped organize 15 years ago. Mogwai was incidentally part of that lineup as well.

Similar to Just Like Heaven Festival, it seems that GV has taken a group of indie and alt-rock acts that would have been part of a legacy Coachella lineup and placed them into a separate one-day festival. I guess we now know why the Pixies weren't part of Coachella 2019 despite touring with Weezer for much of the past year.
                      Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1

Comment

Originally posted by CydeWonder View Post
                        $149 is kind of alot but not too bad, Strokes tix were like $100 Morrissey + Interpol were $80+

The Cure sold out the Hollywood bowl 3 night in a row a few yrs ago if irc so this will probaly sell out too'

Yeah, it's definitely a lot, and more than I have to spend on a ticket right now, so hopefully some will still be available later on. I've seen The Cure and Pixies enough that I wouldn't really spend the kind of money they charge for tickets to see them again at their own shows, but $150 for both of them plus a bunch of other acts I dig makes it a great package deal. And since FYF is no more, LA really needs a a festival like this.

And I hope

Originally posted by wxdude View Post
                        This reminds me a bit of the traveling one-day Curiosa festival tour that Robert Smith helped organize 15 years ago. Mogwai was incidentally part of that lineup as well.

Similar to Just Like Heaven Festival, it seems that GV has taken a group of indie and alt-rock acts that would have been part of a legacy Coachella lineup and placed them into a separate one-day festival. I guess we now know why the Pixies weren't part of Coachella 2019 despite touring with Weezer for much of the past year.
                        I really hope this is the new norm for bands like this. Some big, local GA fest with a curated lineup like this would be way better for Radiohead's next tour appearance instead of yet another round of Coachella, where fewer and fewer people care, and impossible-to-get-into, too-small warmup shows.

Comment

Originally posted by wxdude View Post
                          Honestly I like this format better. More focused, 1 day festivals attract better crowds and are easier to attend due to being spaced out. If they keep this format moving forward I won't be upset.

Comment

Working...
                          X