No announcement yet.

Pasadena Daydream - The Cure (Aug 31)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set times for it are out. It IS 2 stages but each act begins right when an act on the opposite stage finishes. Not really sure what the decision making process behind that was. "Hey, what if, after every set, we had the entire audience migrate to the other stage. Between EVERY set. That should be awesome and not at all a clusterfuck." Seems like it would be easier to just have one of them fancy rotating stages like they had at Just Like Heaven.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PDSetTimes.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	3798
    Last edited by Wolfbeckett; August 26th, 2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Yea, this is a little odd. What it basically means is if you like Throwing Muses and watch their entire show, prepare to watch The Cure from way, way back. Thankfully I have VIP so hoping that will help with the migration between stages and eventual view.

Comment

This was a success - maybe not the most thrilling festival I've ever been to, but well worth the cheaper price point considering the headliner.

My big question - did anyone like the Pixies' set? The feedback I've been hearing has been positive, but Frank Black seemed completely checked out so I decided to follow his lead. They played three straight 21st century songs, which seems like it should be a crime.

Comment

Pixies were fine.

Got very frustrated between Deftones & The Cure when beer & food lines were all atrocious. Clearly GV didn't want to spend more money on staff given this wasn't sold out.

Comment

Pixies were good, I like that they cover Head On by JAMC the crowd behind me was really into them, biggest complaint was the lines to get in. Lines were moving at a decent pace but still took like 45mins-1hr to get in. Not sure how the lines were for Arroyo seco but VIP lines looked horrible. Leaving the area was a clusterfuck.

Lines for everything after Deftones was ridiculous...food,beer, merch but overall it was a good show! Also surpised to see how many goth kids were at the event lol

Comment

Originally posted by CydeWonder View Post
              Also surpised to see how many goth kids were at the event lol
              Why? The Cure are like THE stereotypical goth band. Goths fucking love The Cure.

Overall I thought the show was quite good. I caught the last half of Kaelan Mikla's set and they were interesting, I'll check them out more. Mogwai were fucking awesome. Joy Formidable were fucking awesome. Pixies I thought were overall good, they should have spaced out their newer songs more but they played plenty of the classics and Paz is doing a great job as their bassist, her rendition of Gigantic at the end was great. By the time they ended it was so busy that I had less than zero interest in changing stages again so, sadly, I had to miss Throwing Muses, but The Cure were super good and played longer than I thought they would, they really delivered a headliner worthy set. I had a hell of a lot of fun at this and I hope that Goldenvoice does more of these smaller, more focused, cheaper events, it was a memorable day.

Comment

There were a lot of logistics issues for sure. I went a little early so avoided what I heard were horrific lines to get in later. Merch booth? Forget it. I saw a scuffle break out between folks who insisted they had been in that line more than an hour. VIP area was ok, but the distance between the VIP viewing area and the stage was further away thanks to an emergency vehicle path between the two. Craft beer line was never too bad, so did alright there. But lines for food both in VIP and in the GA area were absurd.

I saw all of Chelsea Wolfe, Mogwai and Joy Formidable. All were terrific. And The Cure is The Cure. Loved the setlist. Their sound people deserve some kind of award. I switched position around a couple of times during their set and no matter where I went on the field, it sounded perfectly clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
                  Why? The Cure are like THE stereotypical goth band. Goths fucking love The Cure.
                  I thought goth was kinda dead, so seeing thousands of goth kids at a festival was kinda surprising vs a Just Like Heaven crowd or Coachella hipsters

Comment

Originally posted by CydeWonder View Post
                    Lines were moving at a decent pace but still took like 45mins-1hr to get in.
                    Yeah, I heard someone who arrived at three didn't get in until five - partially because of how long the line was, and partially because he couldn't figure out where the line to get in was.

I arrived just before 2pm and it took around twenty minutes - nothing too awful, I just missed the first set. But what really bothered me was they seriously only had half of the security checkpoints open. Literally the busiest part of the day for entries, and they decided to only half-staff up. Not sure what the logic was there.

Comment

Originally posted by iantmcfarland View Post
                      Literally the busiest part of the day for entries, and they decided to only half-staff up. Not sure what the logic was there.
                      I think the logic went something like this: "Hey, this festival didn't sell out. We need to make sure our profit margins aren't affected. How about we cut costs?"

Comment

Originally posted by iantmcfarland View Post
                        But what really bothered me was they seriously only had half of the security checkpoints open. Literally the busiest part of the day for entries, and they decided to only half-staff up. Not sure what the logic was there.
                        Originally posted by ocbruin84 View Post
                        Clearly GV didn't want to spend more money on staff given this wasn't sold out.

Comment

Pixies sucked

Throwing Muses were great

The Cure were great except they should have done Wrong Number

Reeves Gabrels best guitarist ever

Goldenvoice sucks.

Who else played again?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfbeckett View Post

I think the logic went something like this: "Hey, this festival didn't sell out. We need to make sure our profit margins aren't affected. How about we cut costs?"
                            I hear that - but let me be more clear. There were X number of security stations set up, with tents and tables and metal detectors. But only half of those stations were staffed and being used.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X